Disparate Liberal Debutante

I've moved! CLICK HERE! to go to my new blog...

4/30/2006

Cleaning out the stink

I've just moved into a new apartment that was previously occupied by my less than ...less than... I don't even know how to describe, but I'm pretty sure he showers bi-weekly, step brother. So I get to clean. Over at Green Thinkers there are a few suggestions for different types of cleaners that doesn't involve all those crazy chemicals.

To mop your floor, combine a bucketful of hot water and a cup of white vinegar, along with a drop of Murphy Oil Soap for good measure. Then mop or scrub away.

For windows, a mixture of two cups water, a half cup distilled white vinegar and a half teaspoon of plant-based dish soap will do the trick. Spray, wait thirty seconds and then wipe.

Alrighty, sounds aces. Got me thinking about eco-friendly house hould cleaners though, which I'll get to later. I found a ton of alternatives to any clearned, just like I found at Green Thinkers. On a Canadian government site I found a table:

Window cleaner

125 ml vinegar (1/2 cup) and 1L water (4 cups)

All –purpose cleaner

50 ml vinegar (1/5 cup), 125 ml baking soda (1/2 cup) and 4L water (16 cups)

Drain cleaner

125 ml baking soda (1/2 cup), 125 ml vinegar (1/2 cup) and boiling water. Pour the baking soda then the vinegar down the drain. Wait 15 minutes, and flush with boiling water. WARNING: Don’t use this recipe if you have recently put a corrosive drain cleaner down the drain.

Oven cleaner

Equal parts baking soda and salt, water to form a paste and apply with a copper scrubbing pad.

Laundry Detergent

Use pure soap flakes.

Fabric softener

15ml vinegar in the washer (1 tbsp.)

Air freshener

Use flowers or potpourri. Simmer cloves or a cinnamon in a pot of water.

Bug repellent

Citronella oil (extracted from citrus fruits).

Paints and solvents

Use latex or water-based paints. They don’t need thinners and solvents.

Unvarnished furniture polish

15ml lemon oil (1 tbsp.) and 1L mineral oil (4 cups)

Varnished furniture

Clean and dust with a damp cloth and rub dry

So that's handy. Anyway, back to the eco friendly household products, incase those listed in the above table just aren't good enough for you. I found a few sites just by looking through a yahoo directory. But the best that I found had to be Abundant Earth. So if you're looking for sustainable and eco friendly products, that seems to be like quite a nifty place. However, when I was a kid we had something much like the Hoky Floor and Carpet Sweeper and I don't remember it ever working to well. But that was way back when. Maybe they've become...more advanced. -Kian
|| Kian, 2:41:00 AM