Disparate Liberal Debutante

I've moved! CLICK HERE! to go to my new blog...

5/24/2006

I'm going to Africa...

I also hate Harper a little less for his contribution to the Darfur crisis. I once saw a story on this on Oprah when George Clooney first came back from his 'mission in Darfur', that was a little while ago and I couldn't believe what was happening and I found myself desperately wanting to do something for the people in Darfur. On the same show there was a report, done by Lisa Ling, about the kidnapping of children in Uganda to fight in a war against the government. A rebel group called the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) has been recruiting children to fight against the government that has been going on for the past two decades. I can still see the faces of the children as Lisa Ling was interviewing some of the parents and guardians, and the tears they choked back as they told the story about gathering the children at night, locking them up in a giant cage so rebel soldiers couldn't kidnap them. Once the rebels kidnap the children of Uganda, they are subjected to rape, murder, kidnappings, cannibalism and torture and those who object to take part in the aforementioned acts are often themselves subjected rape, murder, and are sometimes made sex slaves to the rebel army. I still find it hard to comprehend the fact that little children are over there, fighting and killing and they do not even have a choice in the matter. I really wish there was some way I could travel to Africa and scoop up all the little children and bring them to safety. I wonder how one goes about making a change like that in the world, like organizations I could turn to help the little African children... -metroid
|| Kian, 5:50:00 AM