Disparate Liberal Debutante

I've moved! CLICK HERE! to go to my new blog...

5/29/2006

Kenesserie Camp : A judging back instead of a helping hand...

Kenesserie Camp: A *feeling of a* judging back instead of a helping hand I used to work at a camp called Kenesserie. It's in Ridgetown Ontario, situated just off of Lake Erie. It's a really great camp. I hold some of my greatest childhood memories from being a camper, and by far *the* best of my teenage memories from being on staff. Obviously, I loved highschool and all the things that happened there, but highschool happened everyday, camp was only for 7 weeks, and just...seemed to be something special. I started at Kenesseire when I was about 7 years old, because my sister loved it...and I wanted to be like my sister so I just had to go to. I was a camper until I was 13, and then I was an LIT (Leader in Training). This was the year that I met the best people. Schnieds and I hit it off immediatly and we've been close ever since. Me and my LIT group that year became very close. I worked there for two more summers following that. The summer of 2005, there were some communication issues because of where I was living, and how I never got messages and I ended up taking a job at another camp. (The Quest Centre Computer Day Camp) I was the director of this camp, got a lot more money for less time but didn't have as much fun. So I decided that the summer of 2006 I had to go back to Kenesserie Camp. Time to apply came around, and I did. I hadn't heard from Em (our camp director) for quite some time. So I called her up myself and she had some dissapointing news. A board member of the camp Brian Cofell had googled the camps name and came across one of my older blogs. One I wouldn't want people to read now because it was more or less a ranting page. However, in the summer of 2004 I had made a post containing the word 'Kenesserie' so it appeared on about page 10 of the googled pages. On the blog is said that I didn't believe in God, and I was told there was other 'explicit' language. Probably the word fuck, because I don't really use the word lightly. Because of this blog I was declined my position at camp. I understood, and wasn't too upset knowing that going to UVIC was going to take more than the $0.64/hour we were paid out there. But the more I thought about it, the more it irritated me. Instead of reaching out to someone who had been a faithful part of their team for over 11 years, the camp had snubbed me. I talked to my step dad about it, (he is a minister) and he said he was under the impression that the United Church was there to help people in their faith journey, not turn them away. I understand that they didn't want atheism reaching the kids, but the difference here is that the board and the camp director know I have a firm foundation in basic christian values, stories and beliefs...they know this because I was on staff before. I also had talks with the Christian co-oridnator at one point about my confusion with religion - so they also knew I was questioning. (Just happened, I found an answer, that they didn't agree with.) *edit*The point is, a group that I thought I could depend on, and that I could go to to explore different aspects and different veiws on religion turned me away because of a post on a blog that was more than a year old. I am well aware that this will show up on google searches of Kenesserie, but I almost hope they do read it to know that they lost someone who would have been great for their camp. Oh well, I'm sure scooping ice cream will turn out to be just as fun....:S But the *real* good news is that [edit] my boys [end edit] said they'll be here for my birthday. So I don't need camp to interact with all those that became so close to me. ***** My edits... I was contacted by the camp. And I have taken out that which I didn't intend to reflect badly on others ...but apparently did. (This is mostly towards the staff and my friends WHO by the way are amazing...) And really it was a sentence that sounded like a 'fact' and it wasn't. so i took it out. On a later date I will be adding another post to this as I will have recieved a full report as to why I was not hired. Apprently something happened last year, and 3 years ago that made the board say no - so we'll see what happened there and I will keep you posted. Although - these things *will not*change the fact that my not being christian was a part of it.
|| Kian, 4:01:00 PM