Disparate Liberal Debutante

I've moved! CLICK HERE! to go to my new blog...

5/04/2006

Protect the Environment When You Pee!

I go to Guelph University, (hopefully that won't be true come September, but that's an entirly different story on its own) and for my first year there I lived in residence as part of Eco house, there were 28 of us all devoted to sustainable living, and all very very strange and unique individuals. (My pride of the year was winning the drunk award!) There is an entire site for all the living learning centres (which is what eco was a part of), but I can't seem to find it. It wasn't very good anyway. One thing the 28 of us did while living in our 4 suites with a total of 8 bathrooms for us all to share was "if it's yellow, let it mellow. if it's brown, flush it down." (Later in the year we added "unless it's really yellow, 'cuz then it starts to smell'o".) People would come in and see this written on the back of the door and be kind of confused, or some were grossed out. A lot of people would ask "Can I wash my hands?" thinking that we wouldn't want them to waste water that way either. (We did indeed wash our hands, or used eco friendly hand sanitizers.) As I was perusing my usual blogs for the day, over at Greenthinkers I found a video on something eco might want to consider putting their budget towards next year. This year we did alright though, we purchased over 2x5 km of rainforest, starting a compost and recycling system in all the food buildings on campus and ran one of the largest food drives...oh, and numerous bake sale with vegan goodies. I love my eco housers. -Kian
|| Kian, 2:06:00 PM