Disparate Liberal Debutante

I've moved! CLICK HERE! to go to my new blog...

5/16/2006

Youth Line

I was talking to my friend B-Rock tonight, (who I must say is a total doll...she's smart and she's politically aware of so many things. She's never afraid to stand up for what she believes in, and she's just so amazing...) about being gay, and limiting ourselves to single genders and such...and she mentioned a website called Youth Line. So I went over, just to see what it was all about, and its phenomenal. It gives a toll free number (1-800-268-9688) for questioning, open, gay, bisexual, confused or whatever teens struggling to find themselves and stuggling to be comfortable with their sexualities. The site offers so many different things to read, and really has an inclusive and sensative vibe to it. The one part I really liked the most was here where the question is "Who is queer?" and the answer is amazing...
No one is sure what percentage of the population is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, intersexed, two-spirited or queer, and there is considerable ongoing debate. A number of studies have been done, with varying results. Because of discrimination and fear, many people may not answer honestly when questioned about their attractions, sexual behavior and/or gender identity, so it’s hard to tell what the real percentages are. Ultimately it doesn’t really matter. What’s important is that there are many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgendered, intersexed, two-spirited and queer people – millions in Canada alone – and we have every reason to expect the same rights as everyone else. All people have the right to love whomever they choose and to have full, safe, and satisfying lives.
I've always hated when people would put numbers on amount of queer individuals in the world, like that If the World Were A Village story. In this the author says 10 out of the 1000 people would be gay, or something to that effect? (Im really sorry...I dont remember the number off the top of my head.) But, its a small number...and I always wondered "well, where are you getting this?" A lot of the gay people I know, won't admit they are gay to anyone out of their immediate group of friends. In addition to that, a lot of people I know, are bisexual or bicurious... so what, is it now 10.5 people in the village are gay? Being queer isn't just about sleeling exclusivly with people of the opposite sex. It comprises so much more than that. Personally, bisexual makes the most sense to me. It's the personality that is the most appealing, so if I meet a person who is politically active, intelligent, a lot of fun and all that snazzy stuff, it won't matter what sex they are. By sticking exclusivly to one sex you're cutting out 1/2 of your options on earth. And in addition to that, there isn't a thing a woman can't do that a man can. And that includes bringing things to a relationship...even sexual gratification. (well, sperm...but adopting is a much better option anyway IMO...) Anyway, that site is good. It offers a lot of answers to so many questions. And although I haven't called the help line myself, I've been told that it is really supportive, and great for anything - questions, ranting, crying...anything.
|| Kian, 9:02:00 PM